Work is under way to install a replica of the Biddle fountain, a landmark from a long ago era in Port Jefferson, at the corner of East Main Street and Prospect Street, according to a report published this week in The Port Times Record.
Donated by a famous resident, John Biddle, in 1898, the fountain was a celebrated landmark – but it became hard to maintain, according to The Port Times Record, and in 1919 it was removed so that Brookhaven town could perform work at the intersection.
Island Christian Church has agreed to be the steward of the new fountain. Over the years, fundraisers were held to gather about $4,500, the cost of the replica fountain. The church recently broke ground on its installation.
Click here to read the full report from The Port Times Record.