On May 20, 1984 the Methodists in Port Jefferson dedicated a new church at its current locationon Main Street in Port Jefferson. Reverend T.L. Price was pastor at the time that the church was built. According to an article published in the New York Times in 1894, the "handsome new church" seated 400 congregants and cost $12,000.
The was incorporated in 1835. Before that, the Port Jefferson Methodist Society met at the home of Zachariah Hawkins to worship with traveling reverends. The home was at the site where Infant Jesus Roman Catholic Church sits today. In 1873, the current location of First United Methodist Church was established and a church was then built.
Read the announcement in the New York Times here.