October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and whether you love to shop, attend events, walk or run, there are tons of different ways to support the cause. Check out the list below of opportunities to go pink in Northern Brookhaven and beyond:
- Sweetleaf Boutique in East Setauket will hold its annual cupcakes and cosmos on Oct. 5 from 6 - 9 p.m. Shop for a cause and 15 percent of all sales will be donated to the Walk for Beauty for breast cancer awareness.
- 11th annual Panera Bread 2012 Pink Ribbon Bagels campaign: Panera Bread is selling Pink Ribbon Bagels with 100 percent of the purchase price of each one being donated to breast cancer research.
- Take a swing in the fight against breast cancer at the Pink Rock Classic on Oct. 11 at Great Rock Golf Club in Wading River.
- The annual Walk for Beauty in Stony Brook on Oct. 14. Proceeds from this year’s walk will support this research and provide wigs for cancer patients in financial need.
- On Sunday Oct. 21 will be "Barbells for Boobs," a fundraiser held by CrossFit Stony Brook.
In addition to these events, local residents will be participating in these events:
- American Cancer Society’s “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer” Walk will be held this year on Oct. 21 at Jones Beach.
- There’s also the 5K walk/run organized by the Manhasset Women’s Coalition Against Breast Cancer in New York.
There are even more ways to spread breast cancer awareness this month by supporting national organizations that are fighting for a cure.
Research centers like Susan G. Komen for the Cure are selling pink ribbon merchandise and it’s a twofer — retail therapy and donating to a cause that affects millions.
You can also support breast cancer research by affixing a special stamp to your mail. The U.S. Postal Service has been selling a stamp commemorating breast cancer awareness for the past 15 years. The agency has raised $75 million so far for research programs at the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Defense.
The American Cancer Society’s annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk is organized nationwide and so far more than 8 million people have walked for this cause and raised about $460 million.
TELL US: Is there a special event you participate in to support breast cancer research? Share your stories and thoughts with us by adding them to the comments sections of this article. Also, be sure to add photos of you and your friends supporting the cause to the photo gallery above.