.

HISTORY: "Overbay" Home Catches Fire in 1940

Home of Mr. and Mrs. Addison S. Pratt caught fire and burned in May 1940 in Port Jefferson.

A series of photos on the Port Jefferson village historical archive shows a fire on May 11, 1940 that burned the home of Mr. and Mrs. Addison S. Pratt off Libery Street.

"The property was named 'Overbay' because of its commanding view of Port Jefferson harbor," wrote village historian Kennth Brady on the website. "Volunteers from the Port Jefferson Fire Department responded to the blaze."

The photos show the house on fire and the aftermath with residents trying to salvage the contents inside. To see these photos and many more, head over to Port Jefferson's historical archive.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something