A series of photos on the Port Jefferson village historical archive shows a fire on May 11, 1940 that burned the home of Mr. and Mrs. Addison S. Pratt off Libery Street.
"The property was named 'Overbay' because of its commanding view of Port Jefferson harbor," wrote village historian Kennth Brady on the website. "Volunteers from the Port Jefferson Fire Department responded to the blaze."
The photos show the house on fire and the aftermath with residents trying to salvage the contents inside. To see these photos and many more, head over to Port Jefferson's historical archive.