1. Have kids who are looking to try something new? Spins Gymnastics Academy offers its facilities on Friday evenings for open gym time. Two hour-and-a-half sessions are split into age groups of 5-13 and 14-18, and cost to come is $10. Age-appropriate activities are set up in advance. Younger kids can drop by from 8 to 9:30 p.m., and older teens from 9:30 to 11 p.m.
2. Another way to get the kids active – or anyone for that matter – is through one promotion United Martial Arts Center, on Bicycle Path, is offering. People are entitled to two free karate classes at the training center. Class takes place Saturday at 10 a.m., though call in advance to double check.
3. An entertaining lineup of movies is playing this weekend at PJ Cinemas – from classics now on the screen such as "Les Misérables" and "The Hobbit" to the biopic "Lincoln," to the comedy "This is 40." Click here for times.
4. The Stony Brook Seawolves' (11-4) men's basketball team takes on the Hartford Hawks (10-6) on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. in America East Conference action. Click here for tickets.
5. On Sunday, Petsmart and Last Chance Animal Rescue are partnering up for their weekly Adoption Day at the Route 112 pet store. If you're looking for a pet, drop by and see who needs a home.