Gentlemen’s Driving Park Local History Exhibit
Did you know that there was once a harness racing track in the area that is now known as Port Jefferson Station? Comsewogue Public Library, in cooperative with the Cumsewogue Historical Society, is hosting a display titled “The Gentlemen’s Driving Park.”
This display comes just in time for American Archives Month. The Gentlemen’s Driving Park was built during the early 1880’s and was part of the Grand Circuit of harness racing tracks. The history of race courses and organized horse racing on Long Island goes back hundreds of years. There were at least twenty-five known racetracks throughout Long Island during this time. Port Jefferson Station was once known as the village of Echo.
Echo was named after a horse that was owned by Captain N. Dickerson. This horse raced at the Gentlemen’s Driving Park. It was the local favorite until August 2, 1884 when it was defeated by a horse named Fredonia Boy owned by George Ticehurst. Please visit the library during the month of October to see this exhibit and learn more about this bygone attraction.
The exhibit will be available to view during the days and times that the library is normally open. Please visit our website for more information.
The Cumsewogue Historical Society
The Cumsewogue Historical Society will be discussing the history of the Gentlemen’s Driving Park at this month’s Society meeting. The meeting will be held on Wednesday, October 24th at 7:30 pm at the Union Hall on Terryville Road in Port Jefferson Station. For more information email the Historical Society at email@example.com .They welcome new members.