.

Fire Marshal: 2 Victims of Gas Poisoning at Crowded Home Were Critical

Eleven victims in total taken to the hospital after 911 call early Saturday morning brought police to the Port Jefferson Station home; fire marshal says generators were running below ground in outside stairwell.

Early Saturday morning, 11 residents of at home at 512 Jayne Blvd. in Port Jefferson Station, two of them in critical condition, were taken to area hospitals for since electricity had been shut off, according to a Brookhaven Town spokesperson.

Police received a 911 call sometime after midnight saying that a woman in the home was feeling sick. When arrived on the scene, a high carbon monoxide reading was taken and the house was evacuated.

According to a report by the Brookhaven Town Fire Marshal, the two people in critical condition – a 44-year old woman and an 11-year old boy – were transported to . Six others were transported to and three were transported to .

A representative from Mather Hospital said that they had no updates or official statements to report on the two critical victims.

Brookhaven Town Fire Marshals were called in and found that the generators were running below ground in the rear of the house in an outside basement stairwell. The electric service had been terminated but the exact date was unknown. The town’s building division condemned the residence for occupancy. The fire marshal also issued three summonses to the property owner for creating and maintaining a hazardous condition, no smoke detectors and for not having a carbon monoxide detector.

Brookhaven Town tax assessor's office lists the house as built in 1967. There have been no previous violations reported on the home. According to Suffolk County Clerk Office records, Armando Cepeda purchased the property in June 2006.

Dennis Sandstrom, a neighbor who lives across the street, guessed that there were eight people living there including at least one child who he said attended .

He also said that he didn’t know if Cepeda lived at the home but assumed one of the men who lived there and maintained the property by shoveling snow and cutting the grass was also the owner. Although that was hard to verify since the man only spoke broken-English.

“Nobody spoke English except the one son who goes to school,” Sandstrom said.

He also said that he saw people coming and going from the house frequently.

“They’d sneak around the back an excessive amount,” he said. “Always in and out, in and out.”

About a year after he moved in six years ago, he said that police raided the home but he was unsure why. He said that the residents kept to themselves for the most part.

As for the generators, Sandstrom said he couldn’t tell that they were running or that the electricity had been cut off saying the lights were still on in the home.

“I never heard them,” he said. “They must have hid the generators.”

The home has been listed for sale. Calls to the real estate agent have not been returned as of the writing of this article. On the listing’s website the home is described at an “affordable three bedroom ranch situated on 1/3 acre.” It is described as a short sale tp be sold “as is.”

Patch will follow up with the story as more information becomes available.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »