.

Fire in Upper Port Jefferson Thrift Store Shuts Main Street

Black smoke alerted neighbors to fire who then called 911.

A fire inside a thrift store in Upper Port Jefferson temporarily shut down traffic on Main Street south of North Country Road on Tuesday afternoon while firefighters put out the blaze.

Neighbors said that at about 1:50 p.m. black smoke started pouring out of the shop at 1528 Main Street. A business owner who saw the smoke called 911.

When police and firemen arrived, the door appeared to be locked, according to an account given to Patch in an email by a contributor who goes by Mels Ditties. An officer went to his car for an ax to gain entry. Firemen entered the building with fire extinguishers and water hoses to extinguish the flames. The fire department used a ladder to check a second story apartment for fire and smoke.

According to police on the scene, the fire started in a pile of merchandise on the bottom floor of the store. The Fire Marshal was on the scene investigating.

No cause has been determined for the fire as of yet.

Empire Pools Inc February 14, 2013 at 02:48 AM
Hope they recover ASAP...
Mels Ditties February 14, 2013 at 02:56 AM
Hope that this wakes up the town to the complaints they have been ignoring for years about this store..With the way that inventory is stacked almost to the ceiling in there and the store owner who lives in the store..it's a miracle that the fire was spotted and put out quickly... Unless, this is part of the town's plan for revitalization?...Hmmmm, burn it down and then we'll rebuild???

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »