The Terryville Fire Department will host an open house on Sunday to let residents get a peek on how they operate.
The event is part of Fire Prevention Week, which runs from Oct. 6-12. The department will have live fire demonstrations.
Here are some recommended tips from Terryville's bravest to help keep us safe:
- Make a fire escape plan for your family. Find two exits out of every room. Pick a meeting place outside. Practice makes perfect – hold a family fire drill at least twice each year.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home. Put them inside or near every bedroom. Test them monthly to make sure they work. Put in new batteries once a year.
- Know how to put out a small pan fire by sliding a lid over the flames.
- Teach every family member to “Stop, Drop and Roll” if clothes catch fire.
- Consider having a home fire sprinkler system installed in your new home, or when you remodel.
- Learn how and when to use a fire extinguisher.
- If you have a fire in your home, once you get out, stay out