.

Good Samaritans Alert Man His Truck is on Fire

A full gas can in back of truck added to the dangerous fire.

A man sitting inside his 2004 GMC behind Billie’s 1890 Saloon in Port Jefferson early Saturday morning was alerted by others in the parking lot that his truck was on fire before it was totally engulfed in flames, according to chief Dave Williams from the Port Jefferson Fire Department.

The call came into 911 at about 5 a.m. and several residents said that screams coming from the area woke them up. Ricki Steiner, owner of 411 Boutique, and her husband Daniel Battaglia, a partner in Twilight Café, both were awoken by the sounds. They quickly grabbed their cameras and shot this video and photos of the truck as it turned into a ball of flame.

Adding to the danger was the fact that the truck had a full gas can inside of it, making the fire a little more difficult to extinguish.

“It was an extra hazard we had to worry about,” Williams said.

Two other vehicles parked nearby the GMC truck were also damaged. The Fire Marshal was on scene to try to find out what started the fire.

“Car fires are very tough to determine,” Williams said but the driver told fire fighters at the scene that he had some electrical work done to the truck recently and the fire started in the engine area.

Williams said that no one was hurt in the fire.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something