Eleven people from a Terryville home were hospitalized with non life-threatening injuries around midnight on Friday due to carbon monoxide poisoning, according to police.
Police initially went to the home after someone called 911 about a female who felt sick. also responded along with multiple other area departments to the home on Jayne Boulevard where a high carbon monoxide reading was taken.
Some of the people in the home were taken by ambulance to Mather Hospital. No ages were available from police but a fire department radio call said that there might have been at least one child involved.
Police say that it appears that the cause of the leak was a generator next to the home where all ten people were staying at the time. The Brookhaven Town building inspector and fire marshal were both called to the scene and condemned the house following an investigation.
Someone who did not wish to be identified commenting on an ongoing investigation told Patch that there also might have been illegal apartments in the home. That information has not been verified by Brookhaven Town officials as of yet.