Last week, we posted . Here are the answers.
“No person shall run or operate any boat engine for the purpose of charging batteries, running auxiliary equipment or testing between the hours of ___ and ___ ”
- 9 p.m. and 8 a.m.
- Midnight and 6 a.m.
- 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- 11 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- Answer: Chapter 13, section 11: "No person shall run or operate any boat engine for the purpose of charging batteries, running auxiliary equipment or testing between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m."
“Unattended, such machines constitute a threat to the safety and welfare of the community.” Which machine?
- Lawn mowers
- Space heaters
- Washing machines
- Answer: Chapter 44, section 1: "By the adoption of this chapter, the Town Board of the Town of Brookhaven declares its intent to be to regulate in a manner consistent with the interest of the citizens of the Town of Brookhaven the maintaining and operating of washing machines, drying machines and dry-cleaning machines. Unattended, such machines constitute a threat to the safety and welfare of the community."
“No residential or nonresidential luminaires shall be taller than ____ feet from the natural grade to the lowest light-emitting part of the fixture.”
- Answer: Chapter 85, section 466: "No residential or nonresidential luminaires shall be taller than 20 feet from the natural grade to the lowest light-emitting part of the fixture."
Maximum fine for feeding waterfowl or pigeons:
- Answer: Chapter 10A, section 5: "Any violation of this chapter shall be deemed to be an offense punishable by a fine not to exceed $250 or imprisonment for a period not to exceed 10 days for each such offense, or by both such fine and imprisonment."
True or False: Town board members may issue summonses.
- Answer: Chapter 5, section 3 lists several town positions, including harbormaster, dog control officers, housing inspectors, fire marshals and more. Town board members are not listed.
“A ‘noise disturbance from a barking dog’ shall be defined as that created by a dog barking continuously or intermittently for ___ minutes.”
- Answer: Chapter 50, section 6, subsection B: "For the purpose of this section, a 'noise disturbance from a barking dog' shall be defined as that created by a dog barking continuously or intermittently for 15 minutes."
"There shall be no more than ___ persons per bedroom."
- Answer: Chapter 82 details the Neighborhood Preservation section of the town code, intended "to preserve the aesthetic integrity of our residential neighborhoods, prevent neighborhood blight, protect residential property values, encourage residential property maintenance and enhance the quality of life in our residential neighborhoods." One of many requirements is limiting occupants to four per bedroom, which is detailed in section seven, subsection B.
“All lawns, common areas and recreation areas shall be maintained in a clean and neat condition and grass shall be cut periodically to restrict growth in excess of ___ inches in total height.”
- Answer: Section three of the Neighborhood Preservation section of town code states: "grass shall be cut periodically to restrict growth in excess of 10 inches intotal height."
Political “signs must be removed no later than __ days after the election for political office for which said signs were placed.”
- Answer: Chapter 57A, section 10, subsection D states signs must be removed 15 days after the election.
"No cart, hand truck, wagon, vehicle, bicycle or conveyance of any kind, other than official governmental vehicles responding to emergency service calls, shall be operated at a speed in excess of ___ miles per hour upon or across any wooden public walk..."
- Answer: According to chapter 83, section 5 of town code, the speed limit is eight miles per hour. However, the code goes on to say the following: "provided, however, that no self-propelled or motorized vehicle shall be operated upon or across any wooden public walk within the Town of Brookhaven at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions..."