Here's a look at what's happening in Port Jefferson this week.
- Shopping Safely On the Internet: This advanced computer class will cover the basics of online shopping and Internet safety. You will be shown some of the most popular shopping websites and be given some important tips for safe, online shopping. Participants must be comfortable using the Internet to attend this class. Program presented by Computer Instructor Arnie Lustig at 7 p.m. at the Port Jefferson Library.
- Mah Jong for Beginners. Have you always wanted to learn how to play the game? Well on Dec. 10 at 10:30 a.m. you can learn for free at the Port Jefferson Library. Learn how to play the popular Chinese game that involves both skill and strategy. Mah Jong Instructor Valerie Krause will be conducting class.
- Step to Freedom and Peace: Join us for this course in which we'll explore a simple but life-changing series of Buddhist meditations called the Lamrim – the stages of the path to enlightenment. We'll learn the basics of how to meditate, how to set up a daily practice, and we'll explore in detail each one of the meditations that make up the stages of the path to freedom and peace with Mike Opisso from 7 p.m. to 8.30 p.m. on December 10, 17.
$10 or discounted price of any 6 GP classes for $50Nobody is turned away for lack of fundsFree for Members of the Center (please bring your card). Dipamkara Meditation Center, 301D East Main Street, Port Jefferson will host the seminar.
- The Nutcracker Act II: Visit the enchanted “Land of Sweets” and the famous, well-known Nutcracker music that everyone loves and dances to by the delightful performers from Ballet Long Island. Chocolate from Spain, Coffee from Arabia, Tea from China, Candy Canes from Russia, and Flutes and Flowers are some of the wonderful variations to be enjoyed in this program. The Sugar Plum Fairy and her Prince also perform solos and a Grand Pas De Deux. Shows will begin on Dec 11 at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., and 12:15 p.m.
Tickets - $16 adult, $8 child, $8 senior citizen, group rates available through www.balletlongisland.com
- Laughing Seniors: Come and listen to Jerry DiGiovanna, R.N., at the Comsewogue Public Library on Dec. 13 at 2 p.m. ashe reminds us why we all need a good laugh. Humor increases the body’s natural ability to help fight diseases, chronic conditions and the effect of aging. Call 928-1212 or visit our website to register.